Thursday, July 28, 2011

Benefits from the Farm

I never read magazines. In fact, I rarely even scan them. However, yesterday I was glad that I had picked up a Southern Living magazine earlier in the week. In it I ran across a drink recipe that sounded delicious, so I decided to try the recipe, making my own changes. I used blueberries and fresh orange mint from our farm. The recipe made about 2 quarts.

If you'd like to make this drink for your family, you'll need between 1/2 and 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
about 8 mint leaves
1 quart water
  Bring all of this to a boil, lightly mashing berries and mint to release flavor. 
Then mix with:
1 bottle mixed berry sparkling water
8 T sugar
1/8 tsp. lemon or lime juice

I strained the tea mixture before adding it to the other ingredients, removing the mashed berries and leaves. 
This made a beautiful pink tea which was very refreshing. The girls and I loved it, and drank almost the entire two quarts throughout the day! 

If I had not had fresh blueberries from our grandfather's farm and mint from our herb garden, this recipe wouldn't have been as tasty or as inexpensive to make.
                                                                                                      
The benefits from our farm are always fun and encouraging to see.
                                                                                                       ---- Hannah