Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Polyface Intern...For a Day: By Zoe

     We recently had the opportunity to visit Polyface Farms in Virginia for its Field Day and my sister Hannah, who is an apprentice at Polyface. Seeing Hannah was wonderful, and Field Day was incredible, but there was definitely a highlight: I was able to follow Hannah around one evening helping her do chores. I felt like a Polyface intern.
     Now, I didn't know exactly what to do when Hannah asked me to disassemble a water hose system or how Polyface interns feed broilers, but I was there. I moved rabbit pens in the dark and washed eggs with Hannah and an intern. I might have been slow, but I had a blast!
     This experience also showed me the strength, knowledge, and discipline of the Polyface team. They all seem to know exactly what's going on, how to do it, and what to do next. Oh, and they walk really, really fast.
     I came away from this trip impressed and excited. I'm no intern, but I can be a farmer.
     
We all got to go (Momma took the picture).

No comments: