Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tis the Season..... for EggNog

Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year.  Although it's cold outside, coming inside holds a special, story-book feeling. When I take off my outside gear and hang it on its peg, I am welcomed by the warmth of a crackling fire, a delicious cup of hot tea, and the joys of precious time with family.  That just makes me happy.

Today we spent most of the day in the kitchen.  We made a huge vat of cheese which will be divided into logs and seasoned with a variety of seasonings and carried to many of our Christmas outings.  We will make two cranberry/cinnamon cheese logs, an Italian cheese log, and several  logs with a special blend of herbs, garlic and red peppers.  We also made a cake, which I know won't last until Christmas around here!  Additionally, since we love eggnog and have a bountiful supply of fresh goat milk, one of my daughters used our family's "secret recipe" to make a gallon and a half of delicious eggnog!  It was a busy day, but it has it rewards.

 So tonight we are sitting together in the glow of the Christmas tree, watching the children play with their Legos, and enjoying the peace of togetherness. I think I'll put away this computer and enjoy some hot apple cider.

No comments: