Friday, May 1, 2015

Flower Jellies



This past week I noticed that our rose bushes were blooming prolifically. I was intrigued and inspired to try making jelly out of the blooms! I found many recipes for rose jelly, including one from Martha Stewart. I even found a couple of recipes for rose jam, in which you leave the petals. I decided that I would prefer jelly to jam in this instance. The recipe I used came from Mother Earth News. It was simple and easy to follow. I gathered a pot full of rose blooms one day, picked the petals off and filled a quart zip-lock with them in preparation for making my jelly... As Joel Salatin always says, "make hay while the sun shines." I didn't have hay making to do but, as a farmer, I had things I had to do over the course of the next two days - while the sun shone, and didn't get back to my beautiful and fragrant rose petal filled zip-lock for two days! (As a side note, while writing this, I'm listening to my mom and sister play romantic piano/cello duets in preparation for two weddings tomorrow. It really helps set the mood for writing about something as romantic as preserving the most widely recognized "romantic flower". =) ) 


On Wednesday I pulled out my bag of petals and measured a little over 6 cups of petals into 4 cups of water. I brought that perfumed mixture to a boil and then simmered, covered, for about 15 minutes before straining the petals out of my newly created rose water. 




While I stirred in my other ingredients I heated my half pint jars and lids, and began heating the water in my Ball water-bath canner. It only took 10 minutes to water-bath can this jelly. When I took it out of the canner I was practically squealing with delight! 





 The finished product was absolutely GORGEOUS!  This photo doesn't do it justice. It's such a rich pink color and the odoriferous flavor is amazing. Yes, this jelly is not only pleasing to the palate, but aromatically attractive as well! The redolence is mild, yet distinct.



...Truly the most romantic jelly I've ever encountered!



There's just something beautiful about seeing a pot full of roses! I highly recommend trying this one yourself!


Ball Enamel Water Bath Canner, Including Chrome-Plated Rack and 4-Piece Utensil Set

Ball Jar Crystal Jelly Jars with Lids and Bands, Quilted, 4-Ounce, Set of 12

Mason Jar Lids - Decorative Canning Caps Fit Regular Mouth Mason Jars - Gingham Design - Pack of 6

No comments: