Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pie Day!?!

I don't usually start my Saturday morning with Facebook. I didn't do that today, either... But I did check Facebook before breakfast. And it was there that my glorious inspiration was born! Today is 3/14/15. To some people (including me for the first 2 minutes that I stared at it) this doesn't mean much. Like I said - I stared at the date for a full 2 minutes before I was enlightened. Then I realized that if you take out the dashes and rewrite it, you get 3.1415 - or in other words - Pi! Then, my thought process went something like this: "pi. pi? piii... pie. PIE!!"  As soon as I finished my morning farm chores I rushed in to carry out my plans... The hour and a half that ensued went something like this......... I've also added some of my thought process from the time of the pie-making process. I amuse and entertain myself, and thought you might find it amusing. (Just don't turn me in for this... :) ) .........

........................................................................................................................

(OK. I like dots.)


1. Come inside and find my Pioneer Woman cookbook and locate the "Perfect Pie Crust" recipe on pages 127-128. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl

2. As the character from Ratatouille says, "follow the recipe."  That's what I did... I followed the recipe to the teaspoon. Some flour, salt, shortening...



Beat and add an egg...

 Goodness, folks, look at that beautiful egg! Look how heavy the white is. Look at how orange the yellow is! Notice how thick that shell is... That's grass-fed, baby!
3. You gotta shake shake shake like you're changed changed changed, brand new looks.... "Wait WHAAA? That's not in there. Oh, that's the Mercy Me album..." Mix until just combined...

4. Make freshly made pie crust disappear. "Wait, what? NO!" I mean, flatten halved dough and convey to freezer. Make sure at some point during this process to dash flour onto your cookbook. This makes it look authentic and well loved. When you're done it wipes right off. If, on the other hand, you get shortening on your cookbook, it will look authentic and well loved but WILL NOT "wipe right off."
 "Ok. That's done, now I guess I need something to put in my pie crust... OOOh. Peach sounds good, Oh Oh! How about Blueberry Peach! Mhm. Uhu. Oh yeah...Ahem. anyway..."  I found a recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com for just what I was looking for.

5. Follow the recipe... Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice... Add blueberries, add peaches.

Peaches....!


Mmmmmmm... Peaches... 

 Look at those PEACHES! Ahem... Anyway, I'm getting a little carried away here.... Back to work....

6. You've got to shake shake shake like you're changed changed changed. Brand new looks so good on you... Wait. a. second... My music must be on repeat.... I should do something about that! Oh well... It's a good song.




 7. Roll out dough and place into awaiting pie pans...  Have you ever thought about how sad pie pans must get when they're just being stored in the cabinet? empty? ...alone? Pardon me while I wipe my eyes.......
8. Add fruit mix including peaches ( heheehe) to pie crust and roll out top crust. Oh! I should do a lattice top on this pie. I mean "pi" hehehe. I've never done a lattice top before. Well, there's a first time for everything. But, Hannah, you're going to write a blog post about this pie. What if it turns out AWFUL looking? Oh well. Even the Cake Boss has failed sometime... probably. maybe...? Either way, here goes.


9. It didn't turn out Awful looking... :) :) I think it's pretty gorgeous! NOW LET'S EAT IT ALLLLLL!!! HAHAHAHA! Oh. I guess it would help to cook it first....... Ok. Loose the fork.



Now we're going to interrupt our regular programming for this announcement. I love these towels that hook onto things. I can pick it up, wipe my hands while walking to the other side of the kitchen, let it drop, and viola (pronounced vuala I know, right? Those French....) it stays! LOVE IT!!!

Here's my beautiful pie - finished - right out of the oven! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go celebrate pie (um, I mean Pi) day! 





Happy 3/14/15
3.1415

No comments: