Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Mystery Bird By Zoe

     A few months ago I decided to try hatching some eggs. I heard about a hybrid called a Rocky Rhode, a mix between a Barred Rock and a Rhode Island Red. After placing Rhode Island hens with my Barred Rock rooster for a few weeks, I sent the fertilized eggs to my aunt for incubation. What I got back was rather a surprise. I don't know what to call this creation, so this is the mystery of the bird.
Rooster
      Meet Rooster, my Rocky Rhode. Don't be fooled by its name: I don't actually know if it's a hen or rooster. It is exceptionally friendly and follows me around like a dog. Sometimes it even comes when I call. You can see in this picture that it has huge feet compared with the rest of its body.
Rooster with a Red Star hen.
    Rooster's body is much lighter than the other chickens and stands several inches higher. We all agree that Rooster looks more like a turkey than a chicken. My experiment had some bumps in the road, or should I say rocks in the rhode? 
    

No comments: