Monday, September 19, 2016

The Modern Olden Days

One of the longest carried, broadest reaching, and most loved kitchen traditions in the world is cast iron. 

I've never met anyone who doesn't like homemade pizza!

I know those two sentences seem totally random and disconnected... But they aren't necessarily. That's what I mean by the modern olden days. I know pizza has been around for quite a while, but making pizza at home has never been easier or more fun than today... Especially when you can buy things like cast iron pizza pans!!!

My latest birthday present was a cast iron pizza pan like just like this one.
Since I got married, Friday night homemade pizza has become a tradition.  I'll share with you how I make pizza and you too can celebrate things like cast iron pizza pans, Friday night, or whatever the occasion suggests!

I start out with The Pioneer Woman pizza crust recipe. It's the most simple and delicious crust recipe I have come across in all my pizza making years. (I learned to make pizza 10 or 11 years ago.) This recipe has only 5 ingredients!

You can then go on to dress your pizza the way Ree recommends, or you can personalise to your taste. My favorite way to proceed is with a homemade tomato based sauce.

I start with organic tomato paste and add equal parts of water and olive oil until my desired consistency is reached.  Then I flavor with salt, oregano, and garlic powder to taste. For a fun flavor kick, add just a dash of balsamic vinegar.

After spreading that on my stretched crust I go on to the toppings. My husband and I are fans of a blend between a meat-lovers and supreme pizza. :) I like to use uncured pepperoni, browned ground beef, black olives, bell pepper, and sometimes diced onion.

Top all that with a generous amount of grated mozzarella and bake at 500 degrees for 13-15 minutes! It's best to let the pizza cool for about 5-7 minutes before slicing.


This cast iron pan turned out the best pizza I've eaten in the past year!  Even though I pressed the dough out on the pan rather than stretching it like I usually do, nothing stuck! All I had to do when finished was wipe it with a paper towel and put it away! (I did season the pan once before use.)


If you like to make pizza, let me know your favorite toppings! 

No comments: